• Flower Definition & Synonyms
- (v. i.) To come into the finest or fairest condition.
- (v. i.) To come off as flowers by sublimation.
- (v. i.) To blossom; to bloom; to expand the petals, as a plant; to produce flowers; as, this plant flowers in June.
- (n.) A substance in the form of a powder, especially when condensed from sublimation; as, the flowers of sulphur.
- (n.) Ornamental type used chiefly for borders around pages, cards, etc.
- (n.) That part of a plant destined to produce seed, and hence including one or both of the sexual organs; an organ or combination of the organs of reproduction, whether inclosed by a circle of foliar parts or not. A complete flower consists of two essential parts, the stamens and the pistil, and two floral envelopes, the corolla and callyx. In mosses the flowers consist of a few special leaves surrounding or subtending organs called archegonia. See Blossom, and Corolla.
- (v. i.) To froth; to ferment gently, as new beer.
- (n.) In the popular sense, the bloom or blossom of a plant; the showy portion, usually of a different color, shape, and texture from the foliage.
- (v. t.) To embellish with flowers; to adorn with imitated flowers; as, flowered silk.
- (n.) A figure of speech; an ornament of style.
- (n.) Menstrual discharges.
- (n.) The fairest, freshest, and choicest part of anything; as, the flower of an army, or of a family; the state or time of freshness and bloom; as, the flower of life, that is, youth.
- (n.) Grain pulverized; meal; flour.
• Flower-fence Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A tropical leguminous bush (Poinciana, / Caesalpinia, pulcherrima) with prickly branches, and showy yellow or red flowers; -- so named from its having been sometimes used for hedges in the West Indies.
• Flowered Definition & Synonyms
- (imp. & p. p.) of Flower