• Free Definition & Synonyms
- (superl.) Not gained by importunity or purchase; gratuitous; spontaneous; as, free admission; a free gift.
- (adv.) Freely; willingly.
- (superl.) Unrestrained; immoderate; lavish; licentious; -- used in a bad sense.
- (superl.) Not under an arbitrary or despotic government; subject only to fixed laws regularly and fairly administered, and defended by them from encroachments upon natural or acquired rights; enjoying political liberty.
- (superl.) Unconstrained by timidity or distrust; unreserved; ingenuous; frank; familiar; communicative.
- (a.) To make free; to set at liberty; to rid of that which confines, limits, embarrasses, oppresses, etc.; to release; to disengage; to clear; -- followed by from, and sometimes by off; as, to free a captive or a slave; to be freed of these inconveniences.
- (superl.) Exempt; clear; released; liberated; not encumbered or troubled with; as, free from pain; free from a burden; -- followed by from, or, rarely, by of.
- (a.) To remove, as something that confines or bars; to relieve from the constraint of.
- (superl.) Not arbitrary or despotic; assuring liberty; defending individual rights against encroachment by any person or class; instituted by a free people; -- said of a government, institutions, etc.
- (superl.) Ready; eager; acting without spurring or whipping; spirited; as, a free horse.
- (superl.) Characteristic of one acting without restraint; charming; easy.
- (superl.) Not subjected to the laws of physical necessity; capable of voluntary activity; endowed with moral liberty; -- said of the will.
- (superl.) Exempt from subjection to the will of others; not under restraint, control, or compulsion; able to follow ones own impulses, desires, or inclinations; determining ones own course of action; not dependent; at liberty.
- (superl.) Thrown open, or made accessible, to all; to be enjoyed without limitations; unrestricted; not obstructed, engrossed, or appropriated; open; -- said of a thing to be possessed or enjoyed; as, a free school.
- (superl.) Not united or combined with anything else; separated; dissevered; unattached; at liberty to escape; as, free carbonic acid gas; free cells.
- (superl.) Clear of offense or crime; guiltless; innocent.
- (adv.) Without charge; as, children admitted free.
- (superl.) Liberated, by arriving at a certain age, from the control of parents, guardian, or master.
- (superl.) Certain or honorable; the opposite of base; as, free service; free socage.
- (superl.) Not close or parsimonious; liberal; open-handed; lavish; as, free with his money.
- (superl.) Invested with a particular freedom or franchise; enjoying certain immunities or privileges; admitted to special rights; -- followed by of.
- (superl.) Privileged or individual; the opposite of common; as, a free fishery; a free warren.
- (superl.) Not confined or imprisoned; released from arrest; liberated; at liberty to go.
- (a.) To frank.
• Free-handed Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Open-handed; liberal.
• Free-milling Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Yielding free gold or silver; -- said of certain ores which can be reduced by crushing and amalgamation, without roasting or other chemical treatment.