• Fruiting Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Pertaining to, or producing, fruit.
- (n.) The bearing of fruit.
• Fruit Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) The pulpy, edible seed vessels of certain plants, especially those grown on branches above ground, as apples, oranges, grapes, melons, berries, etc. See 3.
- (v. t.) The produce of animals; offspring; young; as, the fruit of the womb, of the loins, of the body.
- (v. t.) The spore cases or conceptacles of flowerless plants, as of ferns, mosses, algae, etc., with the spores contained in them.
- (v. t.) The ripened ovary of a flowering plant, with its contents and whatever parts are consolidated with it.
- (v. i.) To bear fruit.
- (v. t.) That which is produced; the effect or consequence of any action; advantageous or desirable product or result; disadvantageous or evil consequence or effect; as, the fruits of labor, of self-denial, of intemperance.
- (v. t.) Whatever is produced for the nourishment or enjoyment of man or animals by the processes of vegetable growth, as corn, grass, cotton, flax, etc.; -- commonly used in the plural.