• Graduate Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) One who has received an academical or professional degree; one who has completed the prescribed course of study in any school or institution of learning.
- (n.) To prepare gradually; to arrange, temper, or modify by degrees or to a certain degree; to determine the degrees of; as, to graduate the heat of an oven.
- (n.) To mark with degrees; to divide into regular steps, grades, or intervals, as the scale of a thermometer, a scheme of punishment or rewards, etc.
- (n. & v.) Arranged by successive steps or degrees; graduated.
- (n.) To admit or elevate to a certain grade or degree; esp., in a college or university, to admit, at the close of the course, to an honorable standing defined by a diploma; as, he was graduated at Yale College.
- (v. i.) To take a degree in a college or university; to become a graduate; to receive a diploma.
- (v. i.) To taper, as the tail of certain birds.
- (n.) To bring to a certain degree of consistency, by evaporation, as a fluid.
- (v. i.) To pass by degrees; to change gradually; to shade off; as, sandstone which graduates into gneiss; carnelian sometimes graduates into quartz.
- (n.) A graduated cup, tube, or flask; a measuring glass used by apothecaries and chemists. See under Graduated.
• Graduateship Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) State of being a graduate.