• Hawk Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) An effort to force up phlegm from the throat, accompanied with noise.
- (v. t.) To raise by hawking, as phlegm.
- (v. i.) To clear the throat with an audible sound by forcing an expiratory current of air through the narrow passage between the depressed soft palate and the root of the tongue, thus aiding in the removal of foreign substances.
- (v. i.) To make an attack while on the wing; to soar and strike like a hawk; -- generally with at; as, to hawk at flies.
- (n.) One of numerous species and genera of rapacious birds of the family Falconidae. They differ from the true falcons in lacking the prominent tooth and notch of the bill, and in having shorter and less pointed wings. Many are of large size and grade into the eagles. Some, as the goshawk, were formerly trained like falcons. In a more general sense the word is not infrequently applied, also, to true falcons, as the sparrow hawk, pigeon hawk, duck hawk, and prairie hawk.
- (v. t.) To offer for sale by outcry in the street; to carry (merchandise) about from place to place for sale; to peddle; as, to hawk goods or pamphlets.
- (v. i.) To catch, or attempt to catch, birds by means of hawks trained for the purpose, and let loose on the prey; to practice falconry.
- (n.) A small board, with a handle on the under side, to hold mortar.
• Hawkweed Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A plant of the genus Senecio (S. hieracifolius).
- (n.) A plant of the genus Hieracium; -- so called from the ancient belief that birds of prey used its juice to strengthen their vision.
• Hawkbit Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The fall dandelion (Leontodon autumnale).