• Hiss Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A prolonged sound like that letter s, made by forcing out the breath between the tongue and teeth, esp. as a token of disapprobation or contempt.
- (v. i.) To make with the mouth a prolonged sound like that of the letter s, by driving the breath between the tongue and the teeth; to make with the mouth a sound like that made by a goose or a snake when angered; esp., to make such a sound as an expression of hatred, passion, or disapproval.
- (n.) The noise made by steam escaping through a narrow orifice, or by water falling on a hot stove.
- (n.) Any sound resembling that above described
- (n.) The noise made by a serpent.
- (v. t.) To utter with a hissing sound.
- (v. i.) To make a similar noise by any means; to pass with a sibilant sound; as, the arrow hissed as it flew.
- (v. t.) To condemn or express contempt for by hissing.
- (n.) The note of a goose when irritated.
• His Definition & Synonyms
- (pron.) The possessive of he; as, the book is his.
- (pron.) Belonging or pertaining to him; -- used as a pronominal adjective or adjective pronoun; as, tell John his papers are ready; formerly used also for its, but this use is now obsolete.
• Hissed Definition & Synonyms
- (imp. & p. p.) of Hiss
• Hissingly Definition & Synonyms
- (adv.) With a hissing sound.