• Maiden Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Fresh; innocent; unpolluted; pure; hitherto unused.
- (a.) Of or pertaining to a maiden, or to maidens; suitable to, or characteristic of, a virgin; as, maiden innocence.
- (n.) An instrument resembling the guillotine, formerly used in Scotland for beheading criminals.
- (a.) Used of a fortress, signifying that it has never been captured, or violated.
- (a.) Never having been married; not having had sexual intercourse; virgin; -- said usually of the woman, but sometimes of the man; as, a maiden aunt.
- (v. t.) To act coyly like a maiden; -- with it as an indefinite object.
- (n.) A female servant.
- (n.) An unmarried woman; a girl or woman who has not experienced sexual intercourse; a virgin; a maid.
- (n.) A machine for washing linen.
• Maidenhair Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A fern of the genus Adiantum (A. pedatum), having very slender graceful stalks. It is common in the United States, and is sometimes used in medicine. The name is also applied to other species of the same genus, as to the Venus-hair.
• Maidenhead Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The state of being a maiden; maidenhood; virginity.
- (n.) The hymen, or virginal membrane.
- (n.) The state of being unused or uncontaminated; freshness; purity.