• Marbled Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Varied with irregular markings, or witch a confused blending of irregular spots and streaks.
- (imp. & p. p.) of Marble
- (a.) Made of, or faced with, marble.
- (a.) Made to resemble marble; veined or spotted like marble.
• Marble Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Cold; hard; unfeeling; as, a marble breast or heart.
- (n.) A thing made of, or resembling, marble, as a work of art, or record, in marble; or, in the plural, a collection of such works; as, the Arundel or Arundelian marbles; the Elgin marbles.
- (a.) Made of, or resembling, marble; as, a marble mantel; marble paper.
- (n.) A little ball of marble, or of some other hard substance, used as a plaything by children; or, in the plural, a childs game played with marbles.
- (n.) To stain or vein like marble; to variegate in color; as, to marble the edges of a book, or the surface of paper.
- (n.) A massive, compact limestone; a variety of calcite, capable of being polished and used for architectural and ornamental purposes. The color varies from white to black, being sometimes yellow, red, and green, and frequently beautifully veined or clouded. The name is also given to other rocks of like use and appearance, as serpentine or verd antique marble, and less properly to polished porphyry, granite, etc.