• Penitentiary Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A small building in a monastery where penitents confessed.
- (a.) Relating to penance, or to the rules and measures of penance.
- (n.) An office of the papal court which examines cases of conscience, confession, absolution from vows, etc., and delivers decisions, dispensations, etc. Its chief is a cardinal, called the Grand Penitentiary, appointed by the pope.
- (a.) Expressive of penitence; as, a penitentiary letter.
- (n.) A house of correction, in which offenders are confined for punishment, discipline, and reformation, and in which they are generally compelled to labor.
- (a.) Used for punishment, discipline, and reformation.
- (n.) An officer in some dioceses since A. D. 1215, vested with power from the bishop to absolve in cases reserved to him.
- (n.) That part of a church to which penitents were admitted.
- (n.) One who prescribes the rules and measures of penance.
- (n.) One who does penance.
• Penitentiaryship Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The office or condition of a penitentiary of the papal court.