• Porter Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A bar of iron or steel at the end of which a forging is made; esp., a long, large bar, to the end of which a heavy forging is attached, and by means of which the forging is lifted and handled in hammering and heating; -- called also porter bar.
- (n.) A carrier; one who carries or conveys burdens, luggage, etc.; for hire.
- (n.) A malt liquor, of a dark color and moderately bitter taste, possessing tonic and intoxicating qualities.
- (n.) A man who has charge of a door or gate; a doorkeeper; one who waits at the door to receive messages.
• Porterage Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) Money charged or paid for the carriage of burdens or parcels by a porter.
- (n.) The work of a porter; the occupation of a carrier or of a doorkeeper.