• Precede Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) To go before in place, rank, or importance.
- (v. t.) To cause to be preceded; to preface; to introduce; -- used with by or with before the instrumental object.
- (v. t.) To go before in order of time; to occur first with relation to anything.
• Precedent Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A rough draught of a writing which precedes a finished copy.
- (n.) Something done or said that may serve as an example to authorize a subsequent act of the same kind; an authoritative example.
- (a.) Going before; anterior; preceding; antecedent; as, precedent services.
- (n.) A judicial decision which serves as a rule for future determinations in similar or analogous cases; an authority to be followed in courts of justice; forms of proceeding to be followed in similar cases.
- (n.) A preceding circumstance or condition; an antecedent; hence, a prognostic; a token; a sign.