• Prior Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) First, precedent, or superior in the order of cognition, reason or generality, origin, development, rank, etc.
- (a.) Preceding in the order of time; former; antecedent; anterior; previous; as, a prior discovery; prior obligation; -- used elliptically in cases like the following: he lived alone [in the time] prior to his marriage.
- (a.) The superior of a priory, and next below an abbot in dignity.
• Prioress Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A lady superior of a priory of nuns, and next in dignity to an abbess.