• Puddling Definition & Synonyms
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Puddle
- (n.) The art or process of converting cast iron into wrought iron or steel by subjecting it to intense heat and frequent stirring in a reverberatory furnace in the presence of oxidizing substances, by which it is freed from a portion of its carbon and other impurities.
- (n.) The process of working clay, loam, pulverized ore, etc., with water, to render it compact, or impervious to liquids; also, the process of rendering anything impervious to liquids by means of puddled material.
- (n.) Puddle. See Puddle, n., 2.
• Puddle Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) To make dense or close, as clay or loam, by working when wet, so as to render impervious to water.
- (v. t.) To make impervious to liquids by means of puddle; to apply puddle to.
- (v. t.) To make foul or muddy; to pollute with dirt; to mix dirt with (water).
- (v. i.) To make a dirty stir.
- (n.) Clay, or a mixture of clay and sand, kneaded or worked, when wet, to render it impervious to water.
- (n.) A small quantity of dirty standing water; a muddy plash; a small pool.
- (v. t.) To subject to the process of puddling, as iron, so as to convert it from the condition of cast iron to that of wrought iron.