• Roasting Definition & Synonyms
- () a. & n., from Roast, v.
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Roast
• Roast Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) To dissipate by heat the volatile parts of, as ores.
- (v. t.) To banter severely.
- (v. i.) To cook meat, fish, etc., by heat, as before the fire or in an oven.
- (v. t.) To cook by exposure to radiant heat before a fire; as, to roast meat on a spit, or in an oven open toward the fire and having reflecting surfaces within; also, to cook in a close oven.
- (a.) Roasted; as, roast beef.
- (v. t.) To dry and parch by exposure to heat; as, to roast coffee; to roast chestnuts, or peanuts.
- (v. t.) To cook by surrounding with hot embers, ashes, sand, etc.; as, to roast a potato in ashes.
- (v. t.) Hence, to heat to excess; to heat violently; to burn.
- (v. i.) To undergo the process of being roasted.
- (n.) That which is roasted; a piece of meat which has been roasted, or is suitable for being roasted.