• Scutch Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The woody fiber of flax; the refuse of scutched flax.
- (v. t.) To separate the woody fiber from (flax, hemp, etc.) by beating; to swingle.
- (v. t.) To loosen and dress the fiber of (cotton or silk) by beating; to free (fibrous substances) from dust by beating and blowing.
- (v. t.) To beat or whip; to drub.
- (n.) A wooden instrument used in scutching flax and hemp.
• Scutching Definition & Synonyms
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Scutch
• Scutcheon Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A small plate of metal, as the shield around a keyhole. See Escutcheon, 4.
- (n.) An escutcheon; an emblazoned shield.