• Seating Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The act of making seats; also, the material for making seats; as, cane seating.
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Seat
- (n.) The act of providong with a seat or seats; as, the seating of an audience.
• Seat Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) To put a seat or bottom in; as, to seat a chair.
- (n.) A sitting; a right to sit; regular or appropriate place of sitting; as, a seat in a church; a seat for the season in the opera house.
- (n.) That part of a thing on which a person sits; as, the seat of a chair or saddle; the seat of a pair of pantaloons.
- (n.) The place occupied by anything, or where any person or thing is situated, resides, or abides; a site; an abode, a station; a post; a situation.
- (v. t.) To settle; to plant with inhabitants; as to seat a country.
- (n.) A part or surface on which another part or surface rests; as, a valve seat.
- (n.) The place or thing upon which one sits; hence; anything made to be sat in or upon, as a chair, bench, stool, saddle, or the like.
- (n.) Posture, or way of sitting, on horseback.
- (v. t.) To assign a seat to, or the seats of; to give a sitting to; as, to seat a church, or persons in a church.
- (v. t.) To cause to occupy a post, site, situation, or the like; to station; to establish; to fix; to settle.
- (v. t.) To fix; to set firm.
- (v. i.) To rest; to lie down.
- (v. t.) To place on a seat; to cause to sit down; as, to seat ones self.