• Sent Definition & Synonyms
- (v. & n.) See Scent, v. & n.
- (imp. & p. p.) of Send
- () obs. 3d pers. sing. pres. of Send, for sendeth.
- () imp. & p. p. of Send.
• Sentence Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) To pass or pronounce judgment upon; to doom; to condemn to punishment; to prescribe the punishment of.
- (n.) In civil and admiralty law, the judgment of a court pronounced in a cause; in criminal and ecclesiastical courts, a judgment passed on a criminal by a court or judge; condemnation pronounced by a judgical tribunal; doom. In common law, the term is exclusively used to denote the judgment in criminal cases.
- (n.) A philosophical or theological opinion; a dogma; as, Summary of the Sentences; Book of the Sentences.
- (n.) A combination of words which is complete as expressing a thought, and in writing is marked at the close by a period, or full point. See Proposition, 4.
- (v. t.) To decree or announce as a sentence.
- (n.) An opinion; a decision; a determination; a judgment, especially one of an unfavorable nature.
- (n.) A short saying, usually containing moral instruction; a maxim; an axiom; a saw.
- (n.) Sense; meaning; significance.
- (v. t.) To utter sententiously.