• Service Definition & Synonyms
- () Alt. of Service
- (n.) The act of serving; the occupation of a servant; the performance of labor for the benefit of another, or at anothers command; attendance of an inferior, hired helper, slave, etc., on a superior, employer, master, or the like; also, spiritual obedience and love.
- (n.) The act of bringing to notice, either actually or constructively, in such manner as is prescribed by law; as, the service of a subp/na or an attachment.
- (n.) Office of devotion; official religious duty performed; religious rites appropriate to any event or ceremonial; as, a burial service.
- (n.) Useful office; advantage conferred; that which promotes interest or happiness; benefit; avail.
- (n.) The act of serving the ball.
- (n.) The act and manner of bringing food to the persons who eat it; order of dishes at table; also, a set or number of vessels ordinarily used at table; as, the service was tardy and awkward; a service of plate or glass.
- (n.) Duty performed in, or appropriate to, any office or charge; official function; hence, specifically, military or naval duty; performance of the duties of a soldier.
- (n.) Hence, a musical composition for use in churches.
- () A name given to several trees and shrubs of the genus Pyrus, as Pyrus domestica and P. torminalis of Europe, the various species of mountain ash or rowan tree, and the American shad bush (see Shad bush, under Shad). They have clusters of small, edible, applelike berries.
- (n.) Profession of respect; acknowledgment of duty owed.
- (n.) The deed of one who serves; labor performed for another; duty done or required; office.
- (n.) Act of serving or covering. See Serve, v. t., 13.
- (n.) The materials used for serving a rope, etc., as spun yarn, small lines, etc.
• Service uniform Definition & Synonyms
- () The uniform prescribed in regulations for active or routine service, in distinction from dress, full dress, etc. In the United States army it is of olive-drab woolen or khaki-colored cotton, with all metal attachments of dull-finish bronze, with the exceptional of insignia of rank, which are of gold or silver finish.