• Shackling Definition & Synonyms
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Shackle
• Shackle Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) To tie or confine the limbs of, so as to prevent free motion; to bind with shackles; to fetter; to chain.
- (n.) Stubble.
- (n.) Hence, that which checks or prevents free action.
- (n.) A fetterlike band worn as an ornament.
- (n.) A link for connecting railroad cars; -- called also drawlink, draglink, etc.
- (n.) A link or loop, as in a chain, fitted with a movable bolt, so that the parts can be separated, or the loop removed; a clevis.
- (n.) The hinged and curved bar of a padlock, by which it is hung to the staple.
- (n.) Something which confines the legs or arms so as to prevent their free motion; specifically, a ring or band inclosing the ankle or wrist, and fastened to a similar shackle on the other leg or arm, or to something else, by a chain or a strap; a gyve; a fetter.
- (v. t.) To join by a link or chain, as railroad cars.
- (v. t.) Figuratively: To bind or confine so as to prevent or embarrass action; to impede; to cumber.