• Sitting Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The actual presence or meeting of any body of men in their seats, clothed with authority to transact business; a session; as, a sitting of the judges of the Kings Bench, or of a commission.
- (a.) Being in the state, or the position, of one who, or that which, sits.
- (n.) A seat, or the space occupied by or allotted for a person, in a church, theater, etc.; as, the hall has 800 sittings.
- (n.) A brooding over eggs for hatching, as by fowls.
- (n.) The state or act of one who sits; the posture of one who occupies a seat.
- (n.) The time during which one sits while doing something, as reading a book, playing a game, etc.
- (n.) The act or time of sitting, as to a portrait painter, photographer, etc.
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Sit