• Smile Definition & Synonyms
- (v. i.) Favor; countenance; propitiousness; as, the smiles of Providence.
- (v. t.) To affect in a certain way with a smile.
- (v. i.) To look gay and joyous; to have an appearance suited to excite joy; as, smiling spring; smiling plenty.
- (v. i.) The act of smiling; a peculiar change or brightening of the face, which expresses pleasure, moderate joy, mirth, approbation, or kindness; -- opposed to frown.
- (v. i.) Gay or joyous appearance; as, the smiles of spring.
- (v. i.) To be propitious or favorable; to favor; to countenance; -- often with on; as, to smile on ones labors.
- (v. t.) To express by a smile; as, to smile consent; to smile a welcome to visitors.
- (v. i.) To express amusement, pleasure, moderate joy, or love and kindness, by the features of the face; to laugh silently.
- (v. i.) To express slight contempt by a look implying sarcasm or pity; to sneer.
- (v. i.) A somewhat similar expression of countenance, indicative of satisfaction combined with malevolent feelings, as contempt, scorn, etc; as, a scornful smile.
• Smileless Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Not having a smile.
• Smilet Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A little smile.