• Solemnity Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) Ceremoniousness; impressiveness; seriousness; grave earnestness; formal dignity; gravity.
- (n.) A solemn or formal observance; proceeding according to due form; the formality which is necessary to render a thing done valid.
- (n.) Solemn state or feeling; awe or reverence; also, that which produces such a feeling; as, the solemnity of an audience; the solemnity of Westminster Abbey.
- (n.) A rite or ceremony performed with religious reverence; religious or ritual ceremony; as, the solemnity of a funeral, a sacrament.
- (n.) Hence, affected gravity or seriousness.
- (n.) ceremony adapted to impress with awe.