• Stanched Definition & Synonyms
- (imp. & p. p.) of Stanch
• Stanch Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) Firm in principle; constant and zealous; loyal; hearty; steady; steadfast; as, a stanch churchman; a stanch friend or adherent.
- (v. t.) Strong and tight; sound; firm; as, a stanch ship.
- (v. t.) To prop; to make stanch, or strong.
- (n.) That which stanches or checks.
- (n.) A flood gate by which water is accumulated, for floating a boat over a shallow part of a stream by its release.
- (v. t.) Close; secret; private.
- (v. i.) To cease, as the flowing of blood.
- (v. t.) To stop the flowing of, as blood; to check; also, to stop the flowing of blood from; as, to stanch a wound.
- (v. t.) To extinguish; to quench, as fire or thirst.