• Steeling Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The process of pointing, edging, or overlaying with steel; specifically, acierage. See Steel, v.
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Steel
• Steel Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A piece of steel for striking sparks from flint.
- (n.) Fig.: To cause to resemble steel, as in smoothness, polish, or other qualities.
- (n.) A chalybeate medicine.
- (n.) A weapon, as a sword, dagger, etc.
- (n.) An instrument or implement made of steel
- (n.) To make hard or strong; hence, to make insensible or obdurate.
- (n.) Fig.: Anything of extreme hardness; that which is characterized by sternness or rigor.
- (n.) An instrument of steel (usually a round rod) for sharpening knives.
- (n.) A variety of iron intermediate in composition and properties between wrought iron and cast iron (containing between one half of one per cent and one and a half per cent of carbon), and consisting of an alloy of iron with an iron carbide. Steel, unlike wrought iron, can be tempered, and retains magnetism. Its malleability decreases, and fusibility increases, with an increase in carbon.
- (n.) To cover, as an electrotype plate, with a thin layer of iron by electrolysis. The iron thus deposited is very hard, like steel.
- (n.) To overlay, point, or edge with steel; as, to steel a razor; to steel an ax.