• Subscript Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) Anything written below.
- (a.) Written below or underneath; as, iota subscript. (See under Iota.) Specifically (Math.), said of marks, figures, or letters (suffixes), written below and usually to the right of other letters to distinguish them; as, a, n, 2, in the symbols Xa, An, Y2. See Suffix, n., 2, and Subindex.
• Subscription Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) Sum subscribed; amount of sums subscribed; as, an individual subscription to a fund.
- (n.) The signature attached to a paper.
- (n.) Submission; obedience.
- (n.) A method of purchasing items produced periodically in a series, as newspapers or magazines, in which a certain number of the items are delivered as produced, without need for ordering each item individually; also, the purchase thus executed.
- (n.) The acceptance of articles, or other tests tending to promote uniformity; esp. (Ch. of Eng.), formal assent to the Thirty-nine Articles and the Book of Common Prayer, required before ordination.
- (n.) A paper to which a signature is attached.
- (n.) The act of subscribing.
- (n.) That which is subscribed.
- (n.) That part of a prescription which contains the direction to the apothecary.
- (n.) Consent or attestation by underwriting the name.