Crest Synonyms & Definitions
Synonyms are words that have the same or almost the same meaning and the definition is the detailed explanation of the word. This page will help you out finding the Definition & Synonyms of hundreds of words mentioned on this page. Check out the page and learn more about the English vocabulary.
• CrestDefinition & Meaning in English
- (n.) The upper curve of a horses neck.
- (n.) The summit of a hill or mountain ridge.
- (n.) The plume of feathers, or other decoration, worn on a helmet; the distinctive ornament of a helmet, indicating the rank of the wearer; hence, also, the helmet.
- (n.) The helm or head, as typical of a high spirit; pride; courage.
- (v. t.) To furnish with, or surmount as, a crest; to serve as a crest for.
- (v. i.) To form a crest.
- (n.) The ridge or top of a wave.
- (v. t.) To mark with lines or streaks, like, or regarded as like, waving plumes.
- (n.) The ornamental finishing which surmounts the ridge of a roof, canopy, etc.
- (n.) The top line of a slope or embankment.
- (n.) A tuft, or other excrescence or natural ornament, growing on an animals head; the comb of a cock; the swelling on the head of a serpent; the lengthened feathers of the crown or nape of bird, etc.
- (n.) A bearing worn, not upon the shield, but usually above it, or separately as an ornament for plate, liveries, and the like. It is a relic of the ancient cognizance. See Cognizance, 4.
• CrestfallenDefinition & Meaning in English
- (a.) Having the crest, or upper part of the neck, hanging to one side; -- said of a horse.
- (a.) With hanging head; hence, dispirited; dejected; cowed.