Feathering Synonyms & Definitions
Synonyms are words that have the same or almost the same meaning and the definition is the detailed explanation of the word. This page will help you out finding the Definition & Synonyms of hundreds of words mentioned on this page. Check out the page and learn more about the English vocabulary.
• FeatheringDefinition & Meaning in English
- (n.) The act of turning the blade of the oar, as it rises from the water in rowing, from a vertical to a horizontal position. See To feather an oar, under Feather, v. t.
- (n.) Same as Foliation.
- (v. t.) A covering of feathers.
• FeatherDefinition & Meaning in English
- (v. t.) To adorn, as with feathers; to fringe.
- (n.) One of the fins or wings on the shaft of an arrow.
- (v. t.) To render light as a feather; to give wings to.
- (v. i.) To have the appearance of a feather or of feathers; to be or to appear in feathery form.
- (v. i.) To curdle when poured into another liquid, and float about in little flakes or "feathers;" as, the cream feathers
- (v. i.) To turn to a horizontal plane; -- said of oars.
- (v. i.) To grow or form feathers; to become feathered; -- often with out; as, the birds are feathering out.
- (n.) The fringe of long hair on the legs of the setter and some other dogs.
- (n.) A longitudinal strip projecting as a fin from an object, to strengthen it, or to enter a channel in another object and thereby prevent displacement sidwise but permit motion lengthwise; a spline.
- (n.) One of the peculiar dermal appendages, of several kinds, belonging to birds, as contour feathers, quills, and down.
- (n.) A tuft of peculiar, long, frizzly hair on a horse.
- (v. t.) To furnish with a feather or feathers, as an arrow or a cap.
- (v. t.) To tread, as a cock.
- (n.) Kind; nature; species; -- from the proverbial phrase, "Birds of a feather," that is, of the same species.
- (v. t.) To enrich; to exalt; to benefit.
- (n.) The angular adjustment of an oar or paddle-wheel float, with reference to a horizontal axis, as it leaves or enters the water.
- (n.) A thin wedge driven between the two semicylindrical parts of a divided plug in a hole bored in a stone, to rend the stone.
• Feathering.Definition & Meaning in English
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Feather