Gnomon Synonyms & Definitions
Synonyms are words that have the same or almost the same meaning and the definition is the detailed explanation of the word. This page will help you out finding the Definition & Synonyms of hundreds of words mentioned on this page. Check out the page and learn more about the English vocabulary.
• GnomonDefinition & Meaning in English
- (n.) The index of the hour circle of a globe.
- (n.) The style or pin, which by its shadow, shows the hour of the day. It is usually set parallel to the earths axis.
- (n.) A style or column erected perpendicularly to the horizon, formerly used in astronomocal observations. Its principal use was to find the altitude of the sun by measuring the length of its shadow.
- (n.) The space included between the boundary lines of two similar parallelograms, the one within the other, with an angle in common; as, the gnomon bcdefg of the parallelograms ac and af. The parallelogram bf is the complement of the parallelogram df.
• GnomonicalDefinition & Meaning in English
- (a.) Of or pertaining to the gnomon, or the art of dialing.