Poke Synonyms & Definitions
Synonyms are words that have the same or almost the same meaning and the definition is the detailed explanation of the word. This page will help you out finding the Definition & Synonyms of hundreds of words mentioned on this page. Check out the page and learn more about the English vocabulary.
• PokeDefinition & Meaning in English
- (n.) A bag; a sack; a pocket.
- (v. t.) To thrust or push against or into with anything pointed; hence, to stir up; to excite; as, to poke a fire.
- (n.) A large North American herb of the genus Phytolacca (P. decandra), bearing dark purple juicy berries; -- called also garget, pigeon berry, pocan, and pokeweed. The root and berries have emetic and purgative properties, and are used in medicine. The young shoots are sometimes eaten as a substitute for asparagus, and the berries are said to be used in Europe to color wine.
- (v. t.) To thrust with the horns; to gore.
- (n.) A lazy person; a dawdler; also, a stupid or uninteresting person.
- (n.) The act of poking; a thrust; a jog; as, a poke in the ribs.
- (v. t.) To put a poke on; as, to poke an ox.
- (n.) A long, wide sleeve; -- called also poke sleeve.
- (n.) A contrivance to prevent an animal from leaping or breaking through fences. It consists of a yoke with a pole inserted, pointed forward.
- (v. i.) To search; to feel ones way, as in the dark; to grope; as, to poke about.
• Poker diceDefinition & Meaning in English
- () A game played with five dice in which the count is usually made, in order, by pairs, two pairs, three of a kind, full houses, four of a kind, and five of a kind (the highest throw), similar to poker; also, the dice used in this game, esp. when marked with the ace, king, queen, jack, ten, and nine instead of the usual digits.
• PokebagDefinition & Meaning in English
- (n.) The European long-tailed titmouse; -- called also poke-pudding.