Relieve Synonyms & Definitions
Synonyms are words that have the same or almost the same meaning and the definition is the detailed explanation of the word. This page will help you out finding the Definition & Synonyms of hundreds of words mentioned on this page. Check out the page and learn more about the English vocabulary.
• RelieveDefinition & Meaning in English
- (v. t.) To lift up; to raise again, as one who has fallen; to cause to rise.
- (v. t.) To cause to seem to rise; to put in relief; to give prominence or conspicuousness to; to set off by contrast.
- (v. t.) To release from a post, station, or duty; to put another in place of, or to take the place of, in the bearing of any burden, or discharge of any duty.
- (v. t.) To raise or remove, as anything which depresses, weighs down, or crushes; to render less burdensome or afflicting; to alleviate; to abate; to mitigate; to lessen; as, to relieve pain; to relieve the wants of the poor.
- (v. t.) To free, wholly or partly, from any burden, trial, evil, distress, or the like; to give ease, comfort, or consolation to; to give aid, help, or succor to; to support, strengthen, or deliver; as, to relieve a besieged town.
- (v. t.) To ease of any imposition, burden, wrong, or oppression, by judicial or legislative interposition, as by the removal of a grievance, by indemnification for losses, or the like; to right.
- (v. t.) To raise up something in; to introduce a contrast or variety into; to remove the monotony or sameness of.
• RelievementDefinition & Meaning in English
- (n.) The act of relieving, or the state of being relieved; relief; release.