Stifle Synonyms & Definitions
Synonyms are words that have the same or almost the same meaning and the definition is the detailed explanation of the word. This page will help you out finding the Definition & Synonyms of hundreds of words mentioned on this page. Check out the page and learn more about the English vocabulary.
• StifleDefinition & Meaning in English
- (v. t.) To stop; to extinguish; to deaden; to quench; as, to stifle the breath; to stifle a fire or flame.
- (v. t.) To stop the breath of by crowding something into the windpipe, or introducing an irrespirable substance into the lungs; to choke; to suffocate; to cause the death of by such means; as, to stifle one with smoke or dust.
- (v. t.) To suppress the manifestation or report of; to smother; to conceal from public knowledge; as, to stifle a story; to stifle passion.
- (v. i.) To die by reason of obstruction of the breath, or because some noxious substance prevents respiration.
- (n.) The joint next above the hock, and near the flank, in the hind leg of the horse and allied animals; the joint corresponding to the knee in man; -- called also stifle joint. See Illust. under Horse.
• StiflerDefinition & Meaning in English
- (n.) See Camouflet.
- (n.) One who, or that which, stifles.
• StifledDefinition & Meaning in English
- (a.) Stifling.
- (imp. & p. p.) of Stifle