Succeeding Synonyms & Definitions
Synonyms are words that have the same or almost the same meaning and the definition is the detailed explanation of the word. This page will help you out finding the Definition & Synonyms of hundreds of words mentioned on this page. Check out the page and learn more about the English vocabulary.
• SucceedingDefinition & Meaning in English
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Succeed
- (n.) The act of one who, or that which, succeeds; also, that which succeeds, or follows after; consequence.
• SucceedDefinition & Meaning in English
- (v. i.) To obtain the object desired; to accomplish what is attempted or intended; to have a prosperous issue or termination; to be successful; as, he succeeded in his plans; his plans succeeded.
- (v. i.) To come in the place of another person, thing, or event; to come next in the usual, natural, or prescribed course of things; to follow; hence, to come next in the possession of anything; -- often with to.
- (v. t.) To support; to prosper; to promote.
- (v. t.) To come after; to be subsequent or consequent to; to follow; to pursue.
- (v. i.) To descend, as an estate or an heirloom, in the same family; to devolve.
- (v. t.) To follow in order; to come next after; hence, to take the place of; as, the kings eldest son succeeds his father on the throne; autumn succeeds summer.
- (v. i.) Specifically: To ascend the throne after the removal the death of the occupant.
- (v. t.) To fall heir to; to inherit.
- (v. i.) To go under cover.