• Tier Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) One who, or that which, ties.
- (n.) A cholds apron covering the upper part of the body, and tied with tape or cord; a pinafore.
- (v. t.) A row or rank, especially one of two or more rows placed one above, or higher than, another; as, a tier of seats in a theater.
• Tierce Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A position in thrusting or parrying in which the wrist and nails are turned downward.
- (a.) Divided into three equal parts of three different tinctures; -- said of an escutcheon.
- (n.) A cask larger than a barrel, and smaller than a hogshead or a puncheon, in which salt provisions, rice, etc., are packed for shipment.
- (n.) A cask whose content is one third of a pipe; that is, forty-two wine gallons; also, a liquid measure of forty-two wine, or thirty-five imperial, gallons.
- (n.) A sequence of three playing cards of the same suit. Tierce of ace, king, queen, is called tierce-major.
- (n.) The third hour of the day, or nine a. m,; one of the canonical hours; also, the service appointed for that hour.
- (n.) The third tone of the scale. See Mediant.