• Tun Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) Any shell belonging to Dolium and allied genera; -- called also tun-shell.
- (n.) A large cask; an oblong vessel bulging in the middle, like a pipe or puncheon, and girt with hoops; a wine cask.
- (n.) A fermenting vat.
- (v. i.) To put into tuns, or casks.
- (n.) A drunkard; -- so called humorously, or in contempt.
- (n.) An indefinite large quantity.
- (n.) A certain measure for liquids, as for wine, equal to two pipes, four hogsheads, or 252 gallons. In different countries, the tun differs in quantity.
- (n.) A weight of 2,240 pounds. See Ton.
• Tungsten Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A rare element of the chromium group found in certain minerals, as wolfram and scheelite, and isolated as a heavy steel-gray metal which is very hard and infusible. It has both acid and basic properties. When alloyed in small quantities with steel, it greatly increases its hardness. Symbol W (Wolframium). Atomic weight, 183.6. Specific gravity, 18.
- (n.) Scheelite, or calcium tungstate.
• Tunicaries Definition & Synonyms
- (pl. ) of Tunicary