• Wadd Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) Plumbago, or black lead.
- (n.) An earthy oxide of manganese, or mixture of different oxides and water, with some oxide of iron, and often silica, alumina, lime, or baryta; black ocher. There are several varieties.
• Wad Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) Alt. of Wadd
- (n.) A soft mass, especially of some loose, fibrous substance, used for various purposes, as for stopping an aperture, padding a garment, etc.
- (v. t.) To form into a mass, or wad, or into wadding; as, to wad tow or cotton.
- (n.) Specifically: A little mass of some soft or flexible material, such as hay, straw, tow, paper, or old rope yarn, used for retaining a charge of powder in a gun, or for keeping the powder and shot close; also, to diminish or avoid the effects of windage. Also, by extension, a dusk of felt, pasteboard, etc., serving a similar purpose.
- (n.) A little mass, tuft, or bundle, as of hay or tow.
- (n.) Woad.
- (v. t.) To insert or crowd a wad into; as, to wad a gun; also, to stuff or line with some soft substance, or wadding, like cotton; as, to wad a cloak.
• Waddie Definition & Synonyms
- (n. & v.) See Waddy.