• Waging Definition & Synonyms
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Wage
• Wag Definition & Synonyms
- (v. i.) To be in action or motion; to move; to get along; to progress; to stir.
- (v. i.) To move one way and the other; to be shaken to and fro; to vibrate.
- (v. i.) To go; to depart; to pack oft.
- (v.) A man full of sport and humor; a ludicrous fellow; a humorist; a wit; a joker.
- (v. t.) To move one way and the other with quick turns; to shake to and fro; to move vibratingly; to cause to vibrate, as a part of the body; as, to wag the head.
- (v.) The act of wagging; a shake; as, a wag of the head.
• Wage Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) To expose ones self to, as a risk; to incur, as a danger; to venture; to hazard.
- (v. t.) To give security for the performance of.
- (v. i.) To bind ones self; to engage.
- (v. t.) To adventure, or lay out, for hire or reward; to hire out.
- (v. t.) To put upon wages; to hire; to employ; to pay wages to.
- (v. t.) To engage in, as a contest, as if by previous gage or pledge; to carry on, as a war.
- (v. t.) To pledge; to hazard on the event of a contest; to stake; to bet, to lay; to wager; as, to wage a dollar.
- (v. t.) That which is staked or ventured; that for which one incurs risk or danger; prize; gage.
- (v. t.) That for which one labors; meed; reward; stipulated payment for service performed; hire; pay; compensation; -- at present generally used in the plural. See Wages.