• Warp Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) To twist the end surfaces of (an aerocurve in an aeroplane) in order to restore or maintain equilibrium.
- (v. t.) To weave; to fabricate.
- (v. i.) To fly with a bending or waving motion; to turn and wave, like a flock of birds or insects.
- (v. t.) To run off the reel into hauls to be tarred, as yarns.
- (v.) The threads which are extended lengthwise in the loom, and crossed by the woof.
- (v.) A slimy substance deposited on land by tides, etc., by which a rich alluvial soil is formed.
- (v.) A premature casting of young; -- said of cattle, sheep, etc.
- (v. i.) to turn or incline from a straight, true, or proper course; to deviate; to swerve.
- (v. i.) To turn, twist, or be twisted out of shape; esp., to be twisted or bent out of a flat plane; as, a board warps in seasoning or shrinking.
- (v.) A rope used in hauling or moving a vessel, usually with one end attached to an anchor, a post, or other fixed object; a towing line; a warping hawser.
- (v. i.) To wind yarn off bobbins for forming the warp of a web; to wind a warp on a warp beam.
- (v. t.) To turn aside from the true direction; to cause to bend or incline; to pervert.
- (v. t.) To turn or twist out of shape; esp., to twist or bend out of a flat plane by contraction or otherwise.
- (v. t.) To cast prematurely, as young; -- said of cattle, sheep, etc.
- (v. i.) To cast the young prematurely; to slink; -- said of cattle, sheep, etc.
- (v.) Four; esp., four herrings; a cast. See Cast, n., 17.
- (v. t.) To let the tide or other water in upon (lowlying land), for the purpose of fertilization, by a deposit of warp, or slimy substance.
- (v.) The state of being warped or twisted; as, the warp of a board.
- (v. t.) To throw; hence, to send forth, or throw out, as words; to utter.
- (v. t.) To arrange (yarns) on a warp beam.
- (v. t.) To tow or move, as a vessel, with a line, or warp, attached to a buoy, anchor, or other fixed object.
• Warper Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) One who, or that which, forms yarn or thread into warps or webs for the loom.
- (n.) One who, or that which, warps or twists out of shape.
• Warproof Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) Valor tried by war.