• Weathering Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The action of the elements on a rock in altering its color, texture, or composition, or in rounding off its edges.
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Weather
• Weather Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) To place (a hawk) unhooded in the open air.
- (n.) Storm; tempest.
- (v. t.) To sail or pass to the windward of; as, to weather a cape; to weather another ship.
- (n.) Vicissitude of season; meteorological change; alternation of the state of the air.
- (v. t.) To expose to the air; to air; to season by exposure to air.
- (v. t.) Hence, to sustain the trying effect of; to bear up against and overcome; to sustain; to endure; to resist; as, to weather the storm.
- (n.) A light rain; a shower.
- (n.) The state of the air or atmosphere with respect to heat or cold, wetness or dryness, calm or storm, clearness or cloudiness, or any other meteorological phenomena; meteorological condition of the atmosphere; as, warm weather; cold weather; wet weather; dry weather, etc.
- (v. i.) To undergo or endure the action of the atmosphere; to suffer meteorological influences; sometimes, to wear away, or alter, under atmospheric influences; to suffer waste by weather.
- (a.) Being toward the wind, or windward -- opposed to lee; as, weather bow, weather braces, weather gauge, weather lifts, weather quarter, weather shrouds, etc.