1. Saute chopped onion in melted butter or margarine for 3 minutes stirring occasionally.
2. Stir in flour blending well.
3. Add water gradually stirring constantly.
4. Stir in washed red split lentils.
5. Simmer uncovered for 30 minutes or until red lentils are tender.
6. Place into a food processor.
7. Precess until well blended and creamy.
8. Season with salt and pepper.
9. Return to heat and let it simmer gently for 2 minutes.
10. Combine well-beaten egg and milk mixing well.
11. Blend in soup stirring constantly.
12. Boil gently for 1 minute.
13. Top with toasted bread cubes. Serve hot.