1. Heat oil in a kadhai and saute half the onions till golden brown.
2. Remove. Peel and chop the ginger and the garlic.
3. Mix with the browned and raw onions and poppy seeds and blend to a fine paste with 30 ml/2 tablespoons water.
4. Heat the oil left in the kadhai and crackle the black cardamoms, cinnamon, bay leaf and cloves.
5. Add blended paste and saute for 3 to 4 minutes.
6. Add yogurt and cook for 4 to 5 minutes.
7. Add the lamb pieces and cook for another 3-4 minutes till the fat surfaces.
8. Transfer to a casserole. Add 120 ml water. Sprinkle red chilli powder, garam masala, cardamom powder and black pepper powder on top.
9. Cover and cook in a preheated oven at 275 ºF for 10 minutes.
10. Garnish with coriander, wipe the edges of the dish and serve with naan.