1. Heat the oil, crackle the cloves and the cardamoms, add the ginger and garlic pastes and saute till almost dry.
2. Add lamb shins, salt, yogurt, browned onion paste and chilli powder.
3. Stir for 3-5 minutes. Add stock and simmer till meat is tender.
4. Remove shins into an ovenproof casserole and strain the curry into another pan.
5. Add the tomato puree to the strained curry and cook till only two-thirds of the liquid is left.
6. Stir in the almond paste and the garam masala.
7. Cook for 2-3 minutes. Pour over the cooled shins.
8. Sprinkle with ginger juliennes, chopped coriander, saffron (crushed in a few drops of water) and sweet ittar.
9. Seal the casserole with dough and let simmer for 5 minutes in a preheated oven.
10. Open the seal and wipe edges of dish. Serve hot with taftan.