1. Peel and cut the bottle gourd into 1 1/2"" x 1"" pieces, soak in salt water for 30 minutes, drain & pat dry.
2. Heat the oil in a pan, fry the asafoetida, and cumin & fenugreek seeds.
3. Add the vegetables pieces, stir in ginger paste, cover, and cook on low heat for about 45 minutes.
4. Don't add water, as bottle gourd releases abundant water.
5. Sprinkle the coriander, red chilli and dry ginger powder, and salt.
6. Stir in yoghurt, sprinkle the garam masala powder, and cook on low heat for another 10 minutes.
7. Garnish with green chillies, coriander leaves and red chillies.