1. For the masala, dry roast cloves, cinnamon, coriander seeds, cumin seeds & bay leaf for 3-4 minutes.
2. Grind the roasted spices together with the onion, ginger, garlic, green chillies & 1/4 cup of water to a smooth paste.
3. Heat oil in a deep pan & saute the masala paste till the oil separates.
4. Add the carrots and saute for a couple of minute.
5. Add the soaked rice, salt to taste and 3 cups of water and stir well.
6. Cover and cook for 5 minutes.Stir in spinach leaves.
7. Cover and cook until all the water has been absorbed. Serve hot.