• Accounting Definition & Synonyms
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Account
• Account Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A reckoning; computation; calculation; enumeration; a record of some reckoning; as, the Julian account of time.
- (n.) A registry of pecuniary transactions; a written or printed statement of business dealings or debts and credits, and also of other things subjected to a reckoning or review; as, to keep ones account at the bank.
- (n.) A statement in general of reasons, causes, grounds, etc., explanatory of some event; as, no satisfactory account has been given of these phenomena. Hence, the word is often used simply for reason, ground, consideration, motive, etc.; as, on no account, on every account, on all accounts.
- (n.) A statement of facts or occurrences; recital of transactions; a relation or narrative; a report; a description; as, an account of a battle.
- (n.) A statement and explanation or vindication of ones conduct with reference to judgment thereon.
- (n.) An estimate or estimation; valuation; judgment.
- (n.) Importance; worth; value; advantage; profit.
- (v. t.) To reckon; to compute; to count.
- (v. t.) To place to ones account; to put to the credit of; to assign; -- with to.
- (v. t.) To value, estimate, or hold in opinion; to judge or consider; to deem.
- (v. t.) To recount; to relate.
- (v. i.) To render or receive an account or relation of particulars; as, an officer must account with or to the treasurer for money received.
- (v. i.) To render an account; to answer in judgment; -- with for; as, we must account for the use of our opportunities.
- (v. i.) To give a satisfactory reason; to tell the cause of; to explain; -- with for; as, idleness accounts for poverty.