• Avoid Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) To make void; to annul or vacate; to refute.
- (a.) To emit or throw out; to void; as, to avoid excretions.
- (v. i.) To become void or vacant.
- (a.) To get rid of.
- (a.) To keep away from; to keep clear of; to endeavor no to meet; to shun; to abstain from; as, to avoid the company of gamesters.
- (a.) To defeat or evade; to invalidate. Thus, in a replication, the plaintiff may deny the defendants plea, or confess it, and avoid it by stating new matter.
- (a.) To empty.
- (v. i.) To retire; to withdraw.
- (a.) To quit or evacuate; to withdraw from.
• Avoiding Definition & Synonyms
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Avoid
• Avoidance Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The act of becoming vacant, or the state of being vacant; -- specifically used for the state of a benefice becoming void by the death, deprivation, or resignation of the incumbent.
- (n.) A dismissing or a quitting; removal; withdrawal.
- (n.) The act of annulling; annulment.
- (n.) The courts by which anything is carried off.
- (n.) The act of avoiding or shunning; keeping clear of.
• Avoidable Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Capable of being vacated; liable to be annulled or made invalid; voidable.
- (a.) Capable of being avoided, shunned, or escaped.