• Battery Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) An apparatus for generating voltaic electricity.
- (v. t.) The act of battering or beating.
- (v. t.) The unlawful beating of another. It includes every willful, angry and violent, or negligent touching of anothers person or clothes, or anything attached to his person or held by him.
- (v. t.) A series of stamps operated by one motive power, for crushing ores containing the precious metals.
- (v. t.) Two or more pieces of artillery in the field.
- (v. t.) Any place where cannon or mortars are mounted, for attack or defense.
- (v. t.) The pitcher and catcher together.
- (v. t.) A number of coated jars (Leyden jars) so connected that they may be charged and discharged simultaneously.
- (v. t.) The box in which the stamps for crushing ore play up and down.
- (v. t.) A company or division of artillery, including the gunners, guns, horses, and all equipments. In the United States, a battery of flying artillery consists usually of six guns.
- (v. t.) A number of similar machines or devices in position; an apparatus consisting of a set of similar parts; as, a battery of boilers, of retorts, condensers, etc.