• Battle Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) A struggle; a contest; as, the battle of life.
- (v. t.) A division of an army; a battalion.
- (a.) Fertile. See Battel, a.
- (v. t.) The main body, as distinct from the van and rear; battalia.
- (v. t.) A general action, fight, or encounter, in which all the divisions of an army are or may be engaged; an engagement; a combat.
- (v. t.) To assail in battle; to fight.
- (n.) To join in battle; to contend in fight; as, to battle over theories.
• Battlement Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) One of the solid upright parts of a parapet in ancient fortifications.
- (n.) pl. The whole parapet, consisting of alternate solids and open spaces. At first purely a military feature, afterwards copied on a smaller scale with decorative features, as for churches.
• Battle-axe Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A kind of broadax formerly used as an offensive weapon.