• Bearded Definition & Synonyms
- (imp. & p. p.) of Beard
- (a.) Having a beard.
• Beard Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The byssus of certain shellfish, as the muscle.
- (n.) The long hairs about the face in animals, as in the goat.
- (n.) In insects, the hairs of the labial palpi of moths and butterflies.
- (n.) An imposition; a trick.
- (v. t.) To oppose to the gills; to set at defiance.
- (n.) The hair that grows on the chin, lips, and adjacent parts of the human face, chiefly of male adults.
- (n.) That part of a type which is between the shoulder of the shank and the face.
- (n.) The appendages to the jaw in some Cetacea, and to the mouth or jaws of some fishes.
- (n.) Long or stiff hairs on a plant; the awn; as, the beard of grain.
- (n.) The gills of some bivalves, as the oyster.
- (n.) A barb or sharp point of an arrow or other instrument, projecting backward to prevent the head from being easily drawn out.
- (v. t.) To take by the beard; to seize, pluck, or pull the beard of (a man), in anger or contempt.
- (n.) That part of the under side of a horses lower jaw which is above the chin, and bears the curb of a bridle.
- (v. t.) To deprive of the gills; -- used only of oysters and similar shellfish.
- (n.) The cluster of small feathers at the base of the beak in some birds