• Beetle Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) To beat with a heavy mallet.
- (v. t.) Any insect of the order Coleoptera, having four wings, the outer pair being stiff cases for covering the others when they are folded up. See Coleoptera.
- (v. t.) To finish by subjecting to a hammering process in a beetle or beetling machine; as, to beetle cotton goods.
- (v. t.) A heavy mallet, used to drive wedges, beat pavements, etc.
- (v. t.) A machine in which fabrics are subjected to a hammering process while passing over rollers, as in cotton mills; -- called also beetling machine.
- (v. i.) To extend over and beyond the base or support; to overhang; to jut.
• Beetlehead Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The black-bellied plover, or bullhead (Squatarola helvetica). See Plover.
- (n.) A stupid fellow; a blockhead.
• Beetle-browed Definition & Synonyms
- () Having prominent, overhanging brows; hence, lowering or sullen.