• Berthing Definition & Synonyms
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Berth
- (n.) The planking outside of a vessel, above the sheer strake.
• Berth Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A place in a ship to sleep in; a long box or shelf on the side of a cabin or stateroom, or of a railway car, for sleeping in.
- (v. t.) To give an anchorage to, or a place to lie at; to place in a berth; as, she was berthed stem to stern with the Adelaide.
- (n.) An allotted place; an appointment; situation or employment.
- (n.) Convenient sea room.
- (n.) A room in which a number of the officers or ships company mess and reside.
- (n.) The place where a ship lies when she is at anchor, or at a wharf.
- (v. t.) To allot or furnish berths to, on shipboard; as, to berth a ships company.